RingPack is an open source Android application that automatically switches out your Default Notification Ringtone, commonly thought of as your text tone. RingPack does not touch your Default Ringtone, or the one that plays when people call you. Rather, RingPack has 3 main uses:
- Randomly switching tones from a pack of common pitch. E.g. guitar chords in the key G. This leaves your notification tone recognizable, yet eliminates the annoyance of repetition.
- Theming your notification tone. Try “packs” with sounds from your favorite video game. Lock the tone to keep it in place, then pick through the pack at your convenience.
- Stepping through songs. Tired of always hearing that same snippet of “Never Gonna Give You Up”? Turn off the shuffle feature to step through pieces of your favorite song in order as every new SMS comes in.
- Android 2.1 or greater.
- An SD card installed and readable. RingPack will not be able to function without an SD card present.
Main Application Features:
- Touch a pack to set it.
- Longpress any pack for options like Editing and Deleting.
- Press menu for Disable, About, and Settings.
Widget Features (longpress on homescreen to access):
I’ve removed the homescreen widget in the latest release due to low usage. Let me know if this makes you sad.
You can make your own packs! If you’re a developer, and want to list your pack on the Market, please email me as I’m still getting the tool together. If you’re just a user, you can get started right now!
- Download Audacity
- Gather the sounds you’d like
- Open them in Audacity
- Rename using only lowercase letters, numbers, and underscores
- Change the save type to “Ogg Vorbis Files”
- Put them in a folder titled “yourpackname_pack”
- In that folder, create a file named “info.txt” without the quotes
- Format like so: info.txt
- The second like is the number of files (in this case 2)
- Move that folder to your phone under: /Android/data/com.cryclops.ringpack/packs/
- Open RingPack and hit the “Refresh” button
- Your custom pack will now appear in the list
Some users have been super awesome and sent their custom RingPacks to me. You can download them here. To add them, simply unzip the download and place the pack folders under /Android/data/com.cryclops.ringpack/packs/ on your SD card. Right now, the packs are:
RingPack uses Google Analytics to figure out what’s working and what’s not. All data is anonymous, so there’s nothing to worry about there.
QR Code and Market Link
Please report bugs using the Contact form and via your phone.